Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Un-Common!


Common Mullein (Verbascum thapsus)

 
Yes, it's called a Common Mullein... 
hardly "common".  This gigantic mullein was growing at a rate of about 4-6 inches a day before it started to flower.  I am not tall (5'3"), but I am dwarfed by this beauty which is a good 6 inches taller than the door to the garage.  Amazing the power of the life force!

 I looked up info on this plant which is so abundant in my area, and it is has many other common names: Flannel Leaf, Velvet Plant, Jacob's Staff, Shepard's Club, and Girl Scout Toilet Paper. I believe this plant could serve a whole troop of Girl Scouts if need be!


I do love the velvety soft leaves and strong stalk. I typically restrict my plant hugging to trees, though I've been known to stroke the leaves of chard in the garden, but this great plant seemed quite strong enough to receive my full physical affection!

No comments:

Post a Comment