Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Remembering Mom

Mom 1975
Susan, a friend who also blogs, posted on Sunday, "Mama's Hands." Her blog is called:  I am...
It moved me deeply since my own mother died just before midnight on New Year's Eve 19 years ago after a long bout with cancer.

August 1993

I immediately recalled a poem I had written in November that year.  Mom and Dad were living in Florida and I in Michigan, newly divorced, working, dealing with custody agreements...not able to just pick up and go visit...not knowing how to juggle it all.




I Don’t Need You Anymore, Mom

I don’t need you anymore, Mom.
            I just want you.

I want to sit with you and watch one last
            summer storm come up.
I want to see your smile; touch your skin.
I want to hear your voice.
I want to see your hands and arms, legs and feet;
            the shape of your body, your face.
Study them.  Imprint them in my memory.
            Once you go, you’ll be gone so long.

I want to eat the food you’ve made.
I want you to feed me from your own kitchen once more.
I want proof that you’re alive and proof that you’re dying.
I want to take 60 rolls of mental pictures and savor them all,
            for all the next years I’ll have to go without you near.

I need to see you, Mom, before you go.
I don’t want to lose my chance.
You’re the only you there is for me.

--MEW  Late November 1993


Mom and Dad  Fall 1993
Thankfully, I was able to go see her at Christmas.  We had two poignant days together before she lapsed into a final coma.  I can't help imagining that she waited for me to come, headstrong woman that she was all her life.

I am so grateful for those days with her to say my good-byes in person; to physically touch her before she left this earth.  I feel for the many who never get that opportunity with their loved ones.  I think it's helped me stay "in touch" with her all these years.  We still talk often...

2 comments:

  1. A lovely reflection on your mom, and powerful poem, Mary. Thank you for sharing it. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, this brought tears to my eyes. I am living now what you were then, trying to imprint each moment with my Mom and Dad, knowing that they will be gone a long time. How I long to go back, to have family dinner around the table with food that Mom prepared, to hear Dad say grace... Thank you for sharing this vulnerable, sweet, raw place from your heart. It certainly touched my heart...

    ReplyDelete