Wednesday, July 22, 2020

More Wildflowers and a Few Critters

These pictures were all taken in the last 5 days.

I thought that I had pictures of Monarch butterfly eggs and larvae on Milkweed leaves, but the caterpillars were very obviously not Monarchs. Any guesses?


On to those that I can identify.

Common Cattail  (Typha latifola)

Queen Anne's Lace  (Daucus carota)

Swamp Milkweed  (Asclepias incarnata) in the wetlands.

Common Chicory  (Cichorium intybus) growing along the side of the road.

White-tailed Deer, young male  (Odocoileus virginianus)
This is the first buck that I have seen on my property in 16 years!

White-tailed Deer, curious fawn and mother

Blue Vervain (Verbena hastata)
Native Americans used the leaves for tea and the plant for treating nosebleed.

Blue Vervain (Verbena hastata) growing along the creek

Wild Beach Pea with pea pods (Lathyrus japonicus)

White Heather Aster (Aster ericoides)

Catnip  (Nepeta cataria)  My cat's favorite!

Yes! This is a chipmunk in a tree!
Eastern Chipmunk (Tamias striatus) in the Black Cherry Tree (Prunus serotina) eating the cherry fruits.
An American Robin (Turdus migratorius) was eating at the top of the tree at the same time!

4 comments:

  1. That's a whole lot of flowers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Katelyn, there are so many blooming right now. There are many that I didn't include because I couldn't identify them.

      Delete
  2. GraMary, a deer is NOT a flower! I like the Queen Anne's lace, white heather aster, and the beach pea. We have a lot of beach peas here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Travis, you are right! A deer is not a flower, but it is a critter. We have many beach peas here too. I also see lots of Bird's foot trefoil, but haven't taken a picture yet.

    ReplyDelete