Sunday, October 21, 2012

R. I. P.

Here lies Garlic...


With the Rainbow Chard tucked in for the winter, the next event was planting garlic.  This year I discovered that my garden has eastern subterranean termites!  (Reticulitermes flavipes)  Here's more info if you want it, but just reading it make me itch!  http://ohioline.osu.edu/b1209/index.html

                                      
And they delight in eating the papery covering on garlic bulbs; hopefully not my log cabin.  In July, my daughter, Karen, helped me harvest and de-bug the garlic.  What a YUCKY job!  But the cloves were intact and usable, if small.  For that, and Karen's help, I am grateful!



Julie had a great harvest of garlic this year from her garden, and generously offered one of her beds to me for next year. So from this year's abundance we have about 60 plants each bedded down for next year. Thanks for the space, Julie!  Rest In Peace through the winter, Dear Garlic, and we will see you in spring.  YUM! 


1 comment:

  1. I got a kick out of your title for this post, and the picture of the garlic beds. Perfect for Halloween!

    ReplyDelete