Friday, October 19, 2012

Rainbow Chard

Ooops!  I missed my goal of blogging once a week for no reason other than dawdling.  I had these pictures ready, and the idea in my head, but...

I picked the last of my Swiss Chard this week, and it is almost already all eaten.  I love it in vegetarian spaghetti, in Amanda's Black Bean, Squash, and Swiss Chard chili, and also just sauteed in coconut oil with onions and garlic with just a little lemon and salt. Just ask if you want any recipes.


So, goodbye to fresh from the garden Swiss chard.  :-(   I am so grateful for all you've given me of yourself this summer!  If we are what we eat, I am more colorful because of you!

Last spring I experienced significant jealousy when I saw that Julie had fresh kale and chard from her cold frame ready to pick in March that lasted until this year's crop was ready to harvest.  She had simply left the plants from the year before, and the winter was mild enough that they survived to produce in spring.  So on the last warm day we had, I decided I had little to loose to spend a half hour to enclose my plants for the winter in hopes of fresh chard next spring.  "Hope springs eternal..."


Sleep tight, Sweet Rainbow Chard.  See you in Spring, I hope!


1 comment:

  1. I love the shot you took of the rainbow chard! I had no idea it was so colorful!

    ReplyDelete