Monday, June 17, 2013

Animal Sightings

On my slow Sunday, I saw many more animals than I usually do when I have my camera ready.
This sweet Eastern Garter Snake (Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis), about 3 feet long, was lounging on the Rails-toTrails after a large Sunday brunch. My references say they are the most common species of snake in Michigan, and that they feed on "frogs, toads, tadpoles, and small mammals." That lump looks like a small mammal to me...a mouse maybe?


Next, I saw this beautiful butterfly. A Tiger Swallowtail (Papilio glaucus) is my best guess. It seemed to be enjoying the Crown Vetch immensely. I've also seen many of them enjoying Julie's lilacs this year.


Then a mama Painted Turtle (Chrysemys picta) laying eggs right at the edge of the pavement! She looked grumpy to me. Maybe she didn't want her picture taken at such a time, or maybe she was just puuussshing!


I was even blessed by a visit from a very small, very green bug. It landed on my arm while I was riding my bike and refused to leave for the longest time.  It walked around and around my hand and fingers. Then it left as suddenly as it appeared. It never told me its name, but I was grateful for the visit!


Best of all was this Black-capped Chickadee (Parus atricapillus) who flew right in front of me while I was standing by Hersey Creek.  It landed on a branch, then flew to another, then back to the first branch. It did this so many times, I asked it if it wanted its picture taken. I only had my phone camera, but I started trying to take its picture. Every time I finally got the bird in focus, it would flit away. I have about 15 pictures of trees and branches, but no bird! It was a little like playing "Where's Waldo?" as I went through the pictures to find one to share. So here's Waldo, my playful Chickadee.


If I discovered anything today, it is that it is much easier to photograph flora than fauna! Fauna walks, runs, slithers, flies, flits, or grimaces at me while I try to get a picture. Flora only moves in the wind.




No comments:

Post a Comment