Wednesday, June 12, 2013

A New Bench for MorningStar

At the small labyrinth at MorningStar, there has been a bench for many years. I think Brian and Karen Cool made it from salvaged wood after Elise had created the labyrinth. It served well, but...


I wanted to use the old bench as a template for a new one. Well, not entirely new, of course.  I wanted it to be made from salvaged wood also. I've collected a significant amount of pressure treated lumber from my property (previous owner) and from people's trash. Since it's not safe to burn, it's time to make it into something new!


The first new learning for me was to make a dado joint with only a table saw and a chisel. Previously, I've only made butt joints where you just butt the two pieces of wood and nail/screw them together.
First, making numerous cuts.


Then cleaning it up with a chisel.



The piece fits right in.  Sweet!



I ripped down some cracked 2x6 scraps to create good 2x2 blanks for legs. Then notched them to help support the base. Trial and error meant having to make 5 legs...have to learn somehow.


All pieces sanded and ready for staining...


Magic!


Next, just put them together. Two or three extra hands would have helped.


Taking a break.  Time to use the "not right" fifth leg to restore the old bench.


Not good enough for sitting, but fine for resting tools while I work.


Now, ready to measure, cut, and sand the pieces for the seat.


Sanding is not my most favorite activity, but staining that sanded wood...exquisite!


Here it is all assembled!


After Julie and I took turns sitting on it, we decided the beautiful straight edge would actually feel better if it were softened. So a little sanding and re-staining...the finished product.


Even though the wood is pressure treated, I will varnish the bench to help it keep its dark color and keep any of the boards from leaking sap. It should be setting near the labyrinth in just a few more days. Come rest!

I'm so pleased to see all this scrap lumber offering itself as a place of rest rather than dumped in a landfill. Looking at the bench, smelling the wood, feeling the smoothness of the finish... It all makes me smile.

1 comment: