Monday, November 4, 2013

Band Competition

This post is especially for my daughter, Karen. Around 20 years ago, I remember standing at my upstairs bedroom window in Ionia, MI, at 8 am hearing the high school band practicing on the field that half mile or so away. I loved the sound, just because I love music, but also because it warmed my heart and made me feel connected knowing that my Karen was helping make that music I was hearing.

To the present...So a few weeks ago, some of us from choir went into Reed City for a local band competition. I lost the program and don't know the area schools that well, so this first group shall remain unnamed for now. Enjoy!


This one is Cadillac High School. I remembered because I couldn't imagine, as a mom, dealing with white uniforms!


It seems band performances have changed over the last 20 years. Many were much more like a show choir performance than what I think of as a marching band performance. But don't get me wrong, I like the changes! It was wonderful to enjoy after all these years, to think back to those sweltering hot and freezing cold performances of Karen's, remembering her forcing her long hair to all fit under her shako (band hat), and just the excitement of seeing my daughter marching down the street or across the field with her bandmates.

1 comment:

  1. What a bunch of memories for me too. I wasn't in band, but my best friends were, so I was often times right there with them in the cold and rain. Wonderful to think back on!

    ReplyDelete