Sunday, November 17, 2013

Goodbye, Panasonic

Anyone who knows me at all, knows that I have a thing about getting every bit of usefulness out of the things I own. So it's no surprise that the vacuum that was bought on June 12, 1986, was with me until today.


This old Panasonic vacuum worked well until 2003 with few repairs. Then the motor just wore out, and it was no longer advantageous to fix. But did I get rid of it then? Of course not! I knew that the vacuum at Morning Glory cabin was a twin of my vacuum, so I saved mine for parts. And I used quite a few over the last 10 years.


During my cleaning frenzy today, I realized that there really wasn't anything more that could be scavenged that would be helpful, so I said goodbye...mostly. The motor and a few other parts will be going to metal recycling later this week!


It may not be too long before a similar fate befalls my VCR, also from 1986. Of course the Maytag washer and dryer from 1974 are still hanging in there, as is my 2001 Saturn which now has 266,880 miles on it as of today. Eventually, they'll all end up with most of them going to metal recycling. They have all served me well, and owe me nothing at this point. Thank you, old mechanical friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment