Friday, April 6, 2018

Seattle Free Museum Days

The first Thursday of each month is a free for all day at most Seattle museums, and the first Friday is free for seniors 62+ at the Seattle Art Museum. I always try to take advantage of this generous perk.

Thursday I visited the Panama Hotel, but also the Wing Luke Museum of the Asian Pacific American Experience. I enjoyed the Seattle street car through the International District.


The Danny Woo Community Garden was wonderful! Chard, kale, and collards all winter over here. People had already begun planting and sprouts were coming up.





They even have CHICKENS!


So much is blooming...my nose is itching... But it is so beautiful!


The current theme at the Wing parallels the story of the Panama Hotel and expands it to examine current trends to exclude or deport those whose ethnicity, color, religious beliefs, country of origin, etc. are other than those in power in the US: bans on immigration from mostly Muslim countries, the Mexican border wall, deportations.


The question being asked: Could this happen again? Is this happening again?

I am grateful that these were the messages I found at Katelyn's school when I dropped her off Thursday and Friday:





Today was the SAM, Seattle Art Museum!



First, some fun and crazy computer art...

Wild Woman, 2018 by MEW

FUNDOTS!, 2018 by MEW
Then whatever caught my fancy.

Vases, late 19th century by Emile Galle

Window: Peonies in the Wind, 1889 by John La Farge

Anthony of Padua, 2013 by Kehinde Wiley
Yes, the same artist that did the presidential portrait recently for President Obama.

Caterpillar Suit 1, 2007 by Walter Oltmann

Fifteen Planes, 1957 by David Smith
Untitled (Painter), 2009 by Kerry James Marshall
And a couple of old friends who I visit every year. I never get tired of these, and they always make me smile.

Greyhounds Playing, ca. 1916 by William Hunt Diederich

The First People, 2008 by Susan Pointw
And I found this T-shirt that says it all!


A quick trip through Pike Place Market, just for the fun of it. Wow! Was it crowded!



And a full bus home. Whew! I am ready to rest!


And one more smile on the walk from the bus stop...


Now rest, rest, rest. Tomorrow we leave for our family trip to Zion National Park!

No comments:

Post a Comment