Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Magic Golf balls?

Puffball fungus
These puffballs emerged overnight from the land of all things invisible.  This one was just about golf ball size and startled me on first glance... "How did a golf ball get in my front yard?"  It's amazing to me that they can appear like magic overnight!

 
These were on the path from the garage to the house. I should have put down a coin for size reference.  They were only as big as pennies. They we perfectly white when I found them at 9 am and had already turned this light brown by the time I got out with my camera at 1 pm.

What I've read says they're edible...maybe.  There are many types and false types. I'd need to be much better at classification or much more of a risk taker to collect and saute' a batch for breakfast!


2 comments:

  1. Maybe something magic in the dirt outside the garage? That is where the super tall mullein appeared too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe so, but I also found one in the front yard and one on the path to MorningStar. I read that they often show up where the soil has been disturbed, and that's true for all those locations.

    ReplyDelete