Thursday, February 28, 2013

A Day Away part 3


The entrance to the Inuit Gallery permanent collection.

This one is for my daughter, Karen

Some of the work was behind glass, and there was no way to avoid catching the reflection of the lighting.  Amazingly, when one views these in person, our brains eliminate the lighting artifacts, but the camera just can't.


This artist worked mainly with spiritual themes.  If this were my dream....

Senaktok (Dream) by Agnes Nanogak Goose 1979

Here's another for Karen and my granddaughter, Katelyn.  I love the title. It took me back to when I had two little cubs who wanted to follow me wherever I would go!

Wherever She Goes by Andrew Qappik 2007

I needed to capture this one for Sylvia, an artist friend who weaves as one of her art forms.  It is a wall hanging woven of wool and cotton.

Nesting Owls by Malaya Akulukjuk and Igah Etoangat 1984

And these little guys were especially for me.  I love sculpture; three dimensional art. I delight in all the carvings I saw, most in stone or antler.  Wonderfully smooth, shiny.  Thank goodness they put them in cases.  I don't know how I'd keep from touching and caressing them else-wise.


Birds on a Branch by Mary Iqaqrialu

And this picture is from the website because mine didn't come out.  I've seen the dancing Bear on other trips to the museum, and he/she just looks so happy and full of life that I can't help but check in on him/her at every visit!

Dancing Bear by Pauta Saila 1985

So, again, thanks to all the artists and all who make a space for others to enjoy the fun and beauty!



No comments:

Post a Comment