Sunday, February 24, 2013

Recycling at its Finest

I was out walking and noticed this old dead Tamarack Larch tree on my land.  When I had first moved here, almost 9 years ago, it was still alive.  I remember it turning bright yellow that first fall, but already it had many dead branches.


As I approached, I was delighted to see shelf fungus growing on its trunk...


...delighted because I know our fabulous Earth is at work recycling!

 

As I looked even more closely, I noticed a scad of tiny shelf fungi as well.


And some flattened ones, too.  Go, Mother Nature, Go!


Looking around, I actually found 5 dead Tamaracks all at the edge of the swamp.  It's possible they simply lived out their lifespan.  Or the swamp may have encroached on their space making it too wet for their roots.  Or it could have been bugs of some sort, I suppose.  I do miss their bright fall color and just appreciate their different-ness at being a tree with needles, but not an evergreen. But while the Mother is busy recycling these dead Tamaracks, she's also making new.


I took a picture of this sweet baby in October when her needles had turned.  She's about 18 inches tall and growing out of an old Red Pine stump.  Again... Go, Mother, Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment