Saturday, July 27, 2013

A Visit (part 2)

I enjoyed the travel almost as much as the visit with Aunt Cora. I took the train from Michigan to Chicago and then the Metra (commuter line) from Chicago to the suburbs. Here are some pictures on the way home.


Pulling in to Chicago (through the tinted train windows.)


Union Station, now home of Amtrak. This is the great hall. When I was little, the entire hall was filled with the long "pews". Now most are gone.


I love the marble staircase and pillars. The steps, marble remember, are worn from the millions of feet that have used them. Amazing! I remember them being worn even as a child.


I took pictures of the two great statues on the East wall.  They've always intrigued me, but I didn't know much about them. After a little search on Google, now I do! Henry Hering was the sculptor. Here is "Day" shading her eyes from the sun, holding a rooster.


And here is "Night" holding an owl and covering her face with her cloak. They were to represent, according to Great American Stations, "the 24-hour nature of passenger railroading."


I have no pictures to offer from the ride home from Chicago...I slept a great deal of the way! When my eyes were open, the few glimpses of the sunset over Lake Michigan were great. A wonderful trip and glad to be home for a bit. Wednesday I head to Seattle!

No comments:

Post a Comment