Thursday, July 25, 2013

A Visit to Aunt Cora

On May 18th this year, my Aunt Cora turned 90. She lives in the Chicago suburbs at a nursing home because of her poor mobility and blindness. (She's been blind for 60 years.) I've been wanting to visit her and finally made the time to do it.


She told me where her picture albums were, so I pulled those out and asked questions.We talked all afternoon and into the evening until we were both yawning. One of the best stories I heard was about the pictures of her on the wall behind her.


She had been working in a factory for a long time even though her eyesight was failing badly. She decided that she would go to modeling school so she could get out of factory work. It didn't work out, but not for lack of looks! I told her that the full length picture of her standing with her hand on her hip reminded me of the women who used to sell refrigerators and stoves on TV when I was little. She said, "I did great in modeling school, but no one wanted a blind model!"

The trip was easy and good. I'm going to make the time more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment