Monday, September 10, 2012

Kitty Love

My sweet cat, Itty-Bitty, usually prowls outside all night in the summer so I can sleep undisturbed.  If she stays in, she wakes me around 3 am by gently pawing at my face and/or sticking her whiskers up my nose, the darling!  At that time she seems to want to go downstairs, have a little snack, and then go outside which is why I usually send her out before my bedtime instead.

BUT, yesterday I spent the day outside splitting and hauling wood, and Itty-Bitty spent the day chasing moths and grasshoppers, stalking crickets under the tarp I had used to cover the splitter, and racing around near me while I worked.  So, this evening I turned down my bed before showering and came upstairs to find this very tired kitty.
An unexpected bed mate
As much as I didn't want to be awakened early this morning, I just couldn't throw her outside for the night.  Seeing her sleeping like that just brought up such feelings of serenity, peacefulness, and loving kindness in me.  I felt compelled to care for this little being.  I wanted to just press my face into her side and take in her warmth and softness and the sound of her purring, but I couldn't bear to disturb her.
This furry face stirs compassion and caring that I feel deep within my body.
What I felt reminded me of how I felt holding my children and grandchild when they were babies.  I connect with the vulnerability of a sleeping animal or child or someone very old. It feels like a pureness; I am in the presence of the Sacred.  It slows my breathing.  I can feel it lower my blood pressure. And it helps me feel more gentle and compassionate with myself as well as the one who stirs the feelings.  It feels like the effects of meditation, but instantly.

And there is evidence that offers a scientific explanation for what I experience.  Our bodies produce a hormone, oxytocin, when we see or touch gently/pet an animal, child, or anyone/anything vulnerable.  This hormone is an anti-stress hormone which lowers blood pressure, promotes relaxation, and speeds healing.  It can give relief from depression and increase feelings of trust.  Cats produce oxytocin too when petted, and it also lowers their blood pressure!  Win-win!

How fabulous that we all have this innate ability through our natural chemistry to connect to this pure, sacred place within ourselves prompting us to care for the vulnerable.  What a blessing that we've developed this inter-species way to care for each other.  Thank you, Itty-Bitty!  And, yes, she woke me at 3 am...

Here are some more great pet/people pictures:  27 ways pets improve your health from WebMD


No comments:

Post a Comment