Saturday, September 15, 2012

Three Pinky Purples

Or Purple-y Pinks!  These three beauties captivated me. I love the color and the variations even within each flower from pink to purple.

Red Clover (Trifolium pratense)
Red clover is a member of the bean family and not native to Michigan, but it was introduced long ago and now is found all through the United States.  Since it is a nitrogen fixer, farmers often use it as "green manure" to increase soil fertility.  Red Clover is also used to treat effects of menopause.  I love not only the color, but also the shape of the whole flower and intricacy of each tiny part.
Want to know more?   Red Clover


Spotted Knapweed (Centaurea maculosa)
Spotted Knapweed is another non-native species, but this one is considered invasive since it takes over and muscles out the native plants.  Along highway right-of-ways, great swatches of pinky-purple abound.  It is gorgeous and the individual flowers extremely airy and delicate looking, and honeybees do love it. But it's not good for cattle to eat, and it easily can take over a field.  Want to know more?  Spotted Knapweed


Pinkweed (Polygonum pensylvanicum)
Pinkweed is a type of knotweed, part of the buckwheat family.  Native to my part of the world, it was used by Native Americans to calm diarrhea, sooth hemorrhoids, and stop bleeding.  I've seen butterflies, moths, hoverflies, and bees visit these flowers.  And they grow along the steps to my house, so I am blessed each day this time of year with their wonderful color!  Want to know more?  Pinkweed

I am so grateful for the abundance of pinks and purples this time of late summer.  The color makes my heart sing!

No comments:

Post a Comment