Sunday, September 9, 2012

Goodbye Mullein :-(

7/24/2012
This giant Common Mullein has been growing in front of my garage door all summer. five days ago it suddenly lost its perkiness.  I couldn't detect any change in conditions: I didn't crash into it, it wasn't extra cool or hot, extra rainy or sunny.  It was fine in the morning and by noon it looked like this.
9/4/2012
And today, well, I think death has definitely come.
9/9/2012
Considering where this mullein decided to take root, it has become a summer companion.  I couldn't go in or out of the garage door without scooting around it, touching it, or saying "Hi!"  So when I saw its sudden decline, my heart sank like I had lost a friend.  Well, I had.  I just hadn't realized how attached I had become to this sweet giant plant.

In my grief I didn't notice until later in the day that there was a new friend growing very nearby.

This mullein is in its first year having grown from a seed dropped last fall.  Next summer I anticipate that it will send up its second year stalk just as my giant friend did this year.  At least it's a couple more feet away from the garage door.  I'm grateful for this year's giant friend and grateful that I will probably have another next summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment