Wednesday, February 26, 2014

GraMary Goes on Vacation

Due to appointments, Todd stayed home today with Karen and Travis, and I went "On Vacation!"


I went to Seattle Center to the EMP (Experience Music Project) Museum which is right next to the Space Needle.


The outside of the building is all wavy and shiny in silver, blue, and magenta. The Monorail runs right through the building!


They have even painted a Chartres Labyrinth just outside the front entrance. How fun to see a mom and a three year old enjoying it. It was about 55 degrees and sunny!


The museum caught my attention because it has exhibits on Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Horror Films/TV/Video, Music videos, a Sound Lab, and a temporary exhibit on architecture.


Captain Kirk's chair from Star Trek and a Goa'uld guard mask from Stargate SG-1. What I love about science fiction is that the best authors, in my opinion, use the medium to address current social issues by separating them from humans and/or earth in current time or turning an issue upside down (the norm is the opposite of what it is currently in our society) thereby giving readers/watchers the opportunity to become observers from a distance.


Most of the horror stuff wasn't up my alley, but I loved the interactive monster maker!


Next... the fantasy exhibit.


Lots of information on Archetypes and some interactive play to choose which archetype you might be in certain situations. I didn't bother with a picture of the Wicked Witch of the West's hat; I have my own!


Then to the architecture section which I discovered was replicas of real buildings all created using Lego bricks.



Yes, even the Space Needle! ALL LEGOs!


As cool as the sculptures were, I loved the millions of Lego bricks available for anyone and everyone to be a builder even more!


Check out what "amateurs" created.


And after checking out the guitar sculpture which actually has computerized guitars that play music of their own creation...


I moved on to the Sound Lab where I had a tutorial on playing Reggae music on the drums and another for brushing up on some basic keyboarding. There were recording rooms where anyone could record their own music and practice rooms too. Everyone seemed to like this group percussion maker.


After all that, a seriously long day, I rested in front of the giant screen to watch music videos by "OK Go" before heading back to the bus stop. Check this out. A weird, yet cool group.



A wonderful vacation day.

No comments:

Post a Comment