Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Day 7 - The Museum of Flight

Did you know that if you take the #24 bus at the Shell station that it will magically turn into the 124 somewhere in downtown Seattle, and take you all the way to the Museum of Flight without changing buses? It's true, though the sign inside the bus continued to say Route 24.


We went over a number of bridges. Looks like a cruise ship to me.


Now I know I'm getting close. Both my daughter and son-in-law work for Boeing, and I was blessed with a free one-day pass to the Museum of Flight. Thank you!


They had lots of airplanes! (What did I expect?!?) 


The Red Barn, the first Boeing factory, is set up to show how early plane construction was accomplished.


Check out that beautiful lathe!


I was able to go inside the Concorde and look around.


I saw the Gossamer Albatross II - a human powered plane. I'm sure I'd never get off the ground if it was me pedaling!


I found the car of my dreams! The Aerocar, a car-plane!


It's for real. It really flies! Here it is with one wing folded back. When the wings are back, it can drive on the road. And it was street legal and air legal. Amazing! Yes, I'll take one in red.


I was also impressed by the X-Jet, a one person jet propelled vehicle that can fly. Put that on my order as well, please.


Things I never knew #1:  Though I spent a number of years from the time I was 5 looking into the night sky with my mother in our back yard watching for and spotting Sputnik, I never knew it was so SMALL... 22.8 inches in diameter!


Things I never knew #2:  During WWII, the whole Boeing plant #2 was camouflaged since such valuable war work was occurring there. Using chicken wire, papier-mache, chicken feathers, and light construction, a whole artificial residential neighborhood complete with houses, roads, cars, trees, and shrubs was constructed on the roof of the building!



Things I never knew #3:  The amazing number of women (Rosie's) who worked on the planes during the war.



I saw a few planes take off at Boeing Field...


But I have to tell the truth... my real mechanical love is still trains!


And my real, real love...is nature!

Mt. Rainier
Far better than all the human-made things combined, in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment