Thursday, November 8, 2012

November





November

When I die, let me be the cold November wind
                   that heralds the first snow,
                   that shakes loose the last leaf,
that sways the tall pine
and howls through her branches.
Let me be the wind, sharp and strong, wild and free.      


When I die, let me be the moon
                   icy-white in November
calling the last geese south
and we other beasts to the warmth of dens.
Let me be the moon, shining.


When I die, let me be the darkest night
of thick gray clouds
and the still brown earth
before the first snow of November
Let me be the night.

--MEW  11/2008


I love this poem I wrote four years ago.  It is about physical death, but also about significant losses and the little deaths we all experience like letting go of a way of being that no longer serves.  In my death or recovery from losses, I want this sense of freedom and connection to nature.  The poem feels wonderfully cold and gray, yet full of hope and longing for the next season to come.

 I am so grateful for the changing of the seasons in the physical world and in my inner and outer life.

1 comment:

  1. I really connect with your beautiful poem Mary. It speaks of change and freedom, and I love it. Thank you so much for sharing it. I hope you continue to find healing and strength in your journey, and attune to the wind and night.

    ReplyDelete