Monday, August 13, 2012

August Showers

Moonrise 5:02 am     LeRoy, MI
No, I did not catch any meteors on camera myself.  But I did get this beautiful moon rising early Sunday morning.  I did see two nice, bright meteors shoot through the sky while watching.

Here is a picture from the internet of a Perseid meteor from Sunday also. "Shooting stars" occur each August as the earth passes through the stream of space debris left from the comet Swift-Tuttle.

Silver Springs, NV by Kevin Clifford
I am so drawn to the night sky in the summer.  As a child, my mother and I would lay out in the back yard in lounge chairs and watch for shooting stars, the Sputnik satellite, and observe the flight path of planes for O'Hare Airport.  But I especially delighted in feeling all the sensory changes that I would experience as thunderstorms approached: light, sound, temperature, humidity. Even now, 18 years after my mother's death, I feel her presence when I am outdoors in the stillness of the night or when approaching storms grace the sky with thunder rumbles, lightning, and the smell of coming rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment