Friday, August 10, 2012

Furry Friends


“Who are the people in your neighborhood?” as Mister Rogers would ask songfully.  Many of the “people” in my neighborhood are animals.  These furry friends hang out (pun intended) at my house during the day, as well as at Julie’s, but mine are more camera shy.  According to Chinese lore, we are blessed with longevity and happiness by having them choose to share our abodes, though for some Native American tribes, the bat is a trickster spirit. Here’s my best shot of Julie’s day visitor.



My best guess is a Little Brown Bat (myotis lucifugus), though Big Brown and Silver-haired also live in the area. They sleep 20 hours a day, echolocate to find their prey, and eat mosquitoes, moths, wasps, gnats, and other insects.  My heroes!  More info?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat

To be certain, a closer physical examination would have been necessary, and I was not going for a ladder, hat, gloves, etc., even for the blog!  Besides, I hate having anyone interrupt MY sleep…”do unto others…”

No comments:

Post a Comment