Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Indian Pipes

These wonderful beauties popped up just the other day.  I knew I needed to take a picture immediately even though I had more timely blog material.  The deer think they are delicious!  Sure enough, today they are all "gone."

Indian Pipe (Monotropa uniflora)
I had originally thought that Indian Pipes and Pinesaps (Monotropa hypopitys) were the same thing, but have learned that although they share many traits: both are herbaceous plants that do not contain chlorophyll and are parasitic, the Pinesap has multiple flowers on each stalk. I also thought they were Pinesaps since they are in the pine forest here, but they both like that kind of home.


These Indian Pipes intrigue me because they bend the "rules" of what makes something a herbaceous plant versus a fungus. I am always amazed at the diversity of this Universe!

No comments:

Post a Comment