Monday, August 27, 2012

Smiling Tomatoes!



Due to the strange kind of summer we've had this year with record high temperatures and no rain, then solid rain for long stretches, the tomatoes have had a hard time not cracking.  These came from our local Farmers' Market at a reduced price because of the cracks.  Well, when I can them I need the stem out and skin off anyway, and these taste fabulous! And they were grown without any pesticides and with natural fertilizer.  Can't go wrong!

I haven't canned tomatoes for MANY years...I'm guessing 20.  Always did them when the family was together, but this year seemed like the time to start again.

First, I knew I wouldn't have any apples to can since the early hot weather in February got the apple trees tricked into believing it was spring and then whomped them with hard freezes in March.  Secondly, I've been reading more and more about the chemicals which leach from metal cans.  So, I thought, "I know how to preserve tomatoes on my own.  I have plenty of jars.  Why not?!?"  Can you find the smiler?


With a little magic, a lot of mess, and a few hours, I have these beautiful jars of tomatoes ready for the winter.  There's something so artistic and satisfying to see the glass jars all lined up with shiny lids and bright red contents.  I am so grateful to our local farmers for their hard work and diligence to bring high quality, healthy food to our market.  And grateful also to those who taught me how to do home canning as an adult since I grew up as a city kid.


1 comment: