Friday, August 31, 2012

Once in a Blue Moon

I jumped the gun a little here, but with good reason.  Today, at 9:58 am EDT, we have a second full moon in the month of August!  A blue moon!  I took the picture at moonrise last night, about 12 hours early.  The moon probably won't be visible for me when it is officially full since full sun is predicted for the morning.  This way you can get out tonight to see the real thing for yourself.

I am connected to and affected by the moon.  Every time I look at the moon, full or not, I am filled with a sense of awe that rises from deep in my gut.  And with a full moon, the wild thing in me wants to howl.  I know I am always more wakeful around the full moon and am grateful to have much more active energy during the days surrounding its occurrence. 


In the Algonquin tribe tradition, this is also the Corn Moon or Fruit Moon.  These names were used for any full moon that occurred in late August or early September so that the Harvest moon (the next full moon) would coincide with the harvest time of late September or early October.

Blue moons occur every 2 to 3 years, and the next one will be July 31, 2015, so be sure to get out there tonight for a good look!  Of course, the moon doesn't actually have a blue color, but the late evening sky sure did.  Happy moon watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment