Monday, August 20, 2012

Surprise! Fungus amon-gus


I have been struggling these last few days to be true to my practice to look for wonder, magic, and mystery, and to be grateful for these.  Coming upon this writing by Brother David Steindl-Rast and moving myself out the door this morning though I didn't feel like it helped for a while to shift my attitude.  Sometimes a practice is just work.  And sometimes it is a delight.  For this post, it turned out to be a little of both.
 

Surprise 
by Brother David Steindl-Rast

Do we find it difficult to imagine that gratefulness could ever become our basic attitude toward life? In moments of surprise we catch at least a glimpse of the joy to which gratefulness opens the door. More than that--in moments of surprise we already have a foot in the door. 

There are some who claim not to know gratefulness. But is there anyone who never knew surprise? Does springtime not surprise us anew each year, or that expanse of the bay opening up as we come around the bend of the road? Is it not a surprise each time we drive that way?

We have to find our own, each one of us. No matter how often that cardinal comes for the cracked corn scattered on a rock for the birds in winter, it is a flash of surprise. I expect him. I've come to even know his favorite feeding times. I can hear him chirping long before he comes in sight. But when that red streak shoots down on the rock like lightning on Elijah's altar, I know what e.e. cummings means: "The eyes of my eyes are opened."

Once we wake up in this way, we can strive to stay awake. Then we can allow ourselves to become more and more awakened. Waking up is a process.

Source: Gratefulness: the Heart of Prayer


The myriad colors, shapes, and textures of fungi that appear spontaneously each year around the middle to end of August and into September (especially egged on by a little rain) are an ever occurring surprise for me!  Brilliant orange forces me to carry my camera constantly.  From these miniscule, to small, to giant beasts of color!

 

 From fluorescent pink...does anyone have a clue about these?
 


To these which look like undersea coral...







To more "standard" fare.



















I am grateful to be over the hump for now, thanks to the surprise of all these beauties in my life.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment